Sunday, July 19, 2009

spinach pesto

Pesto is wonderful. Full of flavor and nutrients. Some people think the basil aspect is too strong like my friend Rayla. Others just can't afford huge amounts of basil. So this recipe is for all of you and for those of us who just love spinach. What can I say when I was a kid I thought my father might actually BE Popeye so I ate my spinach so I could be strong and amazing just like him!! An added bonus to this dish is that it is raw but most people won't think of it
that way so you can sneakily feed them healthy!!

Spinach Pesto

I huge bundle of spinach about 1/2 lb will do make
sure it is clean and dry. salad spinners work well for this
If it has a huge amount of stems you can trim these but use
some of the stem, they are good for you.
3-7 cloves of garlic, the garlic will make it spicy so adjust this for your tastes
1/4 cup olive oil--you will really taste the olive oil in this recipe, so use the best
most virgin, organic you can get your hands on.
Some REAL salt or celtic salt
nuts about 1-1.5 cups
I use walnuts mostly, they just perfectly complement the spinach and garlic
you can also use pecans, pignolias, or pistachios
Last night I used a combination of all 4 and there was not a drop left in the bowl!
Now put everything in a food processor with a cutting blade and process until bright green
and smooth and all the nuts are blended. If it is too thick you can add a little more oil a few
drops at a time. If it is too thin add a few more nuts.
This will keep in the fridge for about a week. I smooth it into a glass refrigerator dish and put a layer of parchment or wax paper over the top to keep out the air.
You can also freeze this in a container or in ice trays for individual servings just make sure to cover it with a layer of water or oil to keep the air out. It will freeze for about 3 months.
I served this at a potluck with gluten free crackers and tortilla strips.
It is amazing on pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment