Monday, July 27, 2009

Aeyah's coconut maifun

Aeyah made up with this amazing recipe today. One thing that I have found with my kids is that if they cook it they usually will eat it. I started my kids out in the kitchen when they were very small and they have grown up with me in the kitchen. They love fresh ingredients and they can name foods that most adults have never heard of. We try to eat around the table as a family at least once a day. The kids go to the farmer and help him pick produce, we go to farmers markets. We try growing a bit (more some years, less others). We grow herbs. We make the grocery store a field trip. We try to keep with the least processed foods possible. Vegetables, fruits, rice, whole bulk grains, dried fruit, nuts.
Now at 12 and 10 my oldest can handle an entire meal on their own. And since we use recipes mostly as a jumping off place, each meal is unique and amazing.
My 7 yr old has always loved being in the kitchen when he was 1 he was making his own smoothies,(with my help) so he could get enough fruit (something he has never liked).
I am happy to be bringing back the knowledge of being very intuned with what we are eating and where our food comes from through my children. I hope it will help spark a new generation of slow eating.

Coconut Mai Fun

1 8oz box maifun (rice noodles very thin)
cooked as per box instructions. Drain rinse and set aside.

1 cup organic coconut milk
1 t salt
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
5.5 grams vegetable bouillon(ours is made by the organic gourmet and contains:
sea salt, palm fruit oil, nutritional yeast extract, corn starch, onions, celery, carrots, leeks, parsley,
lovage, paprika, turmeric, nutmeg, pepper, chicory extract
1/3 cup red miso
1 small can water chestnuts sliced

place 1/4 cup of coconut milk and bouillon in small bowl and whisk until there are no lumps and it is a smooth consistency.
Transfer to medium bowl
place 1/2 coconut milk and 1/3 cup miso into small bowl and whisk until there are no lumps and it is a smooth consistency
transfer to the bowl
add onion, garlic, salt and stir.
add noodles, and water chestnuts.
Serve warm

No comments:

Post a Comment